Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Girl On Girl . . .

Mean Girls we all joke about the film and exaggeration of it all, but how much of it is exaggeration?  We all imagine that this is a phase girls out grow as they leave high school, but reality is . . . it goes from being catty to just downright extreme.  I recently experienced something I don’t think I have experienced since maybe my college days when the coolest place to be was an underground bar that smelled like puke.  I had two women who I have never met in my entire life perform a modern day Salem witch trial, they were the puritans, and I was Abigail Williams.  There I was accusations, name calling, obscenities, and cell phones being thrown in my face with their idea of proof of why in thier eyes I was all the things they claimed i was.  I was being dragged to the fire, preparing to be burned at the stake.  I hate admitting this, but it emotionally shook me for days, and I am still a little bothered by it. Why would such an immature act bother me so much?  While one, it all leads back to a man who I thought I felt safe and comfortable with, and two . . . I had no idea who these women were.  Maybe it’s my age, but I can’t imagine anyone just deciding to start a hate campaign against someone they  have never met or had a actual conversation with, and that’s exactly what was happening to me.  I was unaware that this campaign against me had been going on for over a month, with my public humiliation as the finale.  What is it about women today?  We claim to be sisters, and join together for equal rights. . .when in all reality we are each other’s biggest enemies, and how did we get here?  Today 1 out of every 4 violent acts in America are girl on girl, a generation ago it was 1 out of every 10!   When did we stop building each other up, and start breaking each other down? I am not perfect, and I am sure I have at one point in my life been on the mean girl side but when do we grow out of these acts of violence against one another.  I couldn’t help but think . . .I have some amazing women in my life.  Although these other girls may have broken me down and made me question women in general it only made me more proud and admire the women I call my girlfriends.  These girls are not just friends they are my therapy.   We may change and evolve as we join this human race, which is just that a race . . . they (my girlfriends) will always be the rainbow on a difficult day.     
To all my girlfriends . . .
"Promise me you'll always remember:  You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think" - Christopher Robin to Pooh

No comments:

Post a Comment